Some of you already heard that I use /e/OS as a daily driver now. /e/OS is an operating system for mobile phones (a few of them to be precise) made by the /e/ foundation. Unlike traditional mobile operating systems like Android or iOS the whole thing doesn’t track you. I think your phone should be your phone and not Google’s or Apple’s. Recently after seeing the video by Laura and Aral I immediately noticed that other than iOS my other option towards a privacy-friendly, but low-cost mobile device would be /e/OS.
So how do I install my COVID-19 tracking app?
Here in Germany we have an app that’s called the Corona Warn-App, yours may be called differently, but the process is the same for every other app.
To get started you do these steps (assuming you got /e/OS installed):
- Unlock your phone
- Swipe to the App store and tap the icon
- Then you tap categories
- If you are in the categories view you now scroll down and tap System apps
- Afterwards you hit “Install” on the only app that’s there called “microG Exposure Notifications”
- Then go back and hit the search icon and search for your desired COVID-19 tracking app made by your government and hit install there
- Go to settings, system, microG and tap “Exposure Notifications” and enable it
- Launch your COVID-19 tracking app and set it up.
You are now helping you and others detecting COVID-19 in your area! 🎉